Our first light keepers l Muk Revisited
Last updated 4/3/2019 at Noon
When the Mukilteo Lighthouse lamp was first lit on March 1, 1906, keeper Peter N. Christiansen was on site and ready to ensure its steady beacon remained a guiding light for ships entering Possession Sound. Christiansen’s appointment to Mukilteo came as a reward for his long record of faithful services. He had been in the merchant marine for 11 years, in the U.S. Navy for 10 years, and keeper of the Turn Point lighthouse in San Juan county for nearly 12 more years.
Our first keeper was born Peder Nicolaij Kristiansen on Dec. 3, 1858, in Stavanger, Norway, to parents Christian Bentzen and...