Special Olympics Washington cancels 2022 State Winter Games | Sports Brief
Last updated 1/12/2022 at 11:51am
Due to rising COVID-19 case rates throughout the state, the 2022 State Winter Games scheduled for March has been canceled.
For the remainder of this season, Special Olympics Washington efforts will be focused on providing modified regional competitions and virtual opportunities, as well as working with programs to host local competitions.
• Basketball – All community basketball competitions will be postponed until mid-February to early March.
• Alpine and snowboarding – There are no changes to the Westside Regional competition. The Eastside Regional competition has been canceled due to low participation.
• Skating, cheerleading, cross country, and snowshoeing – Special Olympics Washington staff will be contacting programs directly to organize modified regional and local competitions.
• Unified Champion Schools – Unified Champion Schools will continue with the regular scheduled league play season and district competitions. Unified basketball teams will continue to follow school protocols and testing until further notice. At this time, there is no change to the existing Unified Champion Schools basketball schedule.
• Fundraising Events – Polar Plunge events will continue with the scheduled event dates. However, in-person activities will be modified. More information can be found at PolarPlunge.com.